Website Long Beach City College
ABOUT THE POSITION
Long Beach Community College District is currently seeking one full-time tenured Disabled Student Programs and Services (DSPS) Counselor commencing with the Fall 2023 semester. This assignment also includes curriculum development, participation in the shared governance process through work in normal professional activities, committee work, and student activities. The teaching assignment may be at the Liberal Arts campus, the Pacific Coast campus or other college teaching locations. The assignment may be day, evening, weekend, on-line or off campus and is subject to change as needed. Faculty positions offer the opportunity to assist a diverse group of adult students in achieving their educational goals. As one of the most diverse community college districts in southern California, we offer a wide range of opportunities in transfer, general education, vocational and occupational programs.
- Assume leadership roles both within the department and in the institution as a whole.
- Commitment to serving the needs of the student, department, college, and community.
- Collaboration across disciplines and utilization of student support resources.
- Participation in department, division, college committees, and participatory governance activities.
- Participation in curriculum and program development.
- Work collegially and collaboratively within the college community.
- Participation in ongoing professional development.
- Ability to create a dynamic learning environment that values instructor/student interaction.
- Ability to effectively engage with and facilitate authentic learning for students of diverse backgrounds, cultures, and experiences.
- Ability to adapt teaching pedagogy to the knowledge of each individual and class.
- Ability to self-reflect and respond to an evidence based assessment of student learning.
- Demonstrated experience and commitment to integrating new technologies into the learning process, including but not limited to interactive technologies for on campus and on- line courses.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Apply DSPS policies and procedures, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) regulations, requirements pertaining to compliance with section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act for website accessibility and Electronic and information (EIT), Title 5 and California Education Code Regulations and federal and state law as related to access issues in a community college setting.
- Determine eligibility for DSPS office through direct evaluation, by observation, or from careful review of documentation presented, as well as training in the proper use of various assessment techniques.
- Evaluate functional limitations, skills and abilities of students in order to design and implement appropriate disability-related accommodations and recommend the use of appropriate assistive technology hardware and software.
- Implement adaptive/assistive technology services that facilitate access to electronic information and educational programs for students with various disabilities, and of assistive technology application to assist in accommodating disability-related educational limitations.
- Apply knowledge of assistive technologies to provide services unique to the needs of students who are blind or have low vision, deaf and hard of hearing or those with learning differences/neurodiverse students.
- Coordinate various assistive technology-related projects and tasks concurrently, within multiple locations, and manage time wisely.
- Develop assistive technology curriculum for specific learning needs of students with disabilities.
- Manage and evaluate test proctoring services and determine appropriate assistive technologies for use in testing based on student educational limitations.
- Work with faculty and staff to support the assistive technology needs for students with disabilities.
- Serve as liaison and resource person in the areas of assistive technology and disability related issues for college personnel and distance education.
To apply for this job please visit agency.governmentjobs.com.