Website Long Beach City College
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Dean, Counseling and Student Support Services is directly responsible to the Vice President of Student Services for providing leadership, direction, planning, coordination, general supervision and evaluation of the programs/departments and services within Counseling and Student Support Services, including Counseling, Transfer and Career Centers, Articulation, and Categorical Programs such as Disabled Students Programs and Services (DSPS), Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS), Cooperative Agencies Resources for Education (CARE), Foster Youth Services (NextUP and Guardian Scholars), CalWORKs, TRIO Student Support Services, and learning communities. This position may also supervise other academic or student service areas as assigned. The assignment includes working closely with other areas to coordinate service delivery, ensure the provision of educational plans, promote student success, persistence, completion, and transfer.
- Provide leadership in the direction, planning and administration of the area’s student services, categorical, and educational programs in alignment with institutional priorities.
- Engage in the development and implementation of strategies and activities that encourage and foster innovation to increase student educational goal attainment, completion, and transfer for all students.
- Prepare and/or review documents for program and course development; assure that materials meet requirements of the Curriculum Committee; provide necessary information for schedules, catalog information, website, and program publicity.
- Develop the schedule of classes and faculty assignments in accord with the appropriate department chairs and collective bargaining agreements.
- Administer collective bargaining agreements, employment and promotion selection procedures; and compliance with District policies, rules and regulations regarding personnel.
- Engage in annual planning to ensure that area services are aligned with, and advance, the College’s Strategic Plan, Guided Pathways, Student Equity Plan, and other guiding planning documents and priorities.
- Develop budgets and manage financial resources consistent with college policies, priorities, and fiscal management principles.
- In accordance with the college’s enrollment management plan, provide leadership and coordination for the development of operational action plans and their implementation. Provide coordination in the scheduling of courses, services, and other related support needs of the area for the efficient and effective use of facilities.
- Monitor class sizes and workloads as appropriate.
- Oversee instructional and staff personnel; including recruitment, selection, hiring, discipline, and performance evaluation of personnel as appropriate, including directing the work of assigned academic and classified personnel in the assigned areas.
- Support the annual review and evaluation of instructional programs and student services within the area.
- Oversee the provision of orientation, training, and professional development for personnel within the area.
- Assist in identifying resources for development through grants and special projects; coordinate and assist in preparation of project applications for special funding to support the area’s programs and services.
- Develop and prepare recommendations and reports as necessary; coordinate and supervise preparation of plans, studies and reports applicable to the area as required.
- Assist in articulation of the instructional programs with K-12 and institutions of higher education, specifically to promote transfer and seamless programs of study.
- Understand and appreciate the mission of community colleges and be able to relate it to all constituencies.
- Advocate and promote quality student services, instruction and related success programming to meet the educational needs of students in a diverse community college environment.
- Advocate and promote quality support services and student success to meet the educational needs of students in a diverse community college environment.
- Facilitate and enhance governance processes/relationship(s); understand and support the role of faculty, staff, and students in participatory governance.
- Understand and promote the role and use of technology in student services and instructional environments.
To apply for this job please visit agency.governmentjobs.com.